About the Foundation
The Mike Peterson Foundation was formed in 2004 to benefit underserved youth and socio-economically challenged families in his hometown of Alachua, FL and his NFL communities of Atlanta and Jacksonville. The mission of the Mike Peterson Foundation is to provide innovative programs for underprivileged youth that encourage learning, embrace the gifts and celebrate the uniqueness of every child in our communities.
Peterson hopes to create a legacy by one day building a community center in the Alachua area just outside of Gainesville. Since its inception, the Mike Peterson Foundation has served more than 15,000 youth and families through the following community events including:
* Annual Thanksgiving food distribution to Alachua families,
* Back to School backpack distribution,
* Holiday events in Alachua, FL,
* Just Read It Star of the Month literacy incentive program,
* Annual Family Fun Day in Alachua, FL
* Top Dog Readers Club literacy program in Altanta, GA,
* Adoption of Grove Park Elementary School in Atlanta, GA,
* Free annual youth football camps in Alachua, FL, and
* The 5/3 Financial Savings program.
As a locker room leader and one of the most community-minded members of the NFL, Peterson was honored with the Jaguars/Morgan Stanley Community Leader of the Month Award which led to his also being named Community Leader of the Year. Peterson also received the President’s Volunteer Service Award for his community involvement in Jacksonville and Alachua, FL.
To view the latest news and events for the Mike Peterson Foundation, please click here.